Saturday, July 7, 2012

Is a membership to AMC Stubs worth it?

Last year when I got notice that AMC was changing their rewards program from free to $12 a year, I was bummed. I was definitely not planning on paying for the new program, but then I found a 50% off code and I decided to go for it.

With the old program, I earned a free small popcorn with the purchase of 5 movie tickets. Honestly, I didn't cash in many rewards because we did not go to the movie that often. I think I received the free popcorn and maybe a free drink. But I was content because I was getting something extra and it was free.

With the new program, AMC Stubs, I get a $10 voucher with every $100 spent. It doesn't sound too great, but it is actually pretty fantastic.

I never pay full price to go to the movies. Every time there is a Fandango code available from daily deal sites, I grab it. So say I paid $4 for a ticket. Well the AMC program applies the full value of the Fandango ticket to my total - around $10 and sometimes more! So really, I end up reaching the $100 threshold fairly quickly.

In the year that I have been a member I have received $25 in total rewards. Plus I have waived $12 in fees from Fandango. You can even use your rewards to renew your membership, so I only paid $2 for another year.

So in total, I have paid $8 for the program that I absolutely did not want to pay for, and I have received way more than that in rewards and benefits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the 50% off code?!

Saving Cents in the City: said...

I used the code last year when they transitioned the program. I haven't seen one in a while.