Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Year

I've been neglecting this poor little blog lately.

The thing is, I have no idea where I want to take this.  When I first started Saving Cents in the City, things were crazy.  We were in the midst of buying an apartment, because our landlord (MY UNCLE!) was throwing us out.  We were paying off a 20k car loan, which had huge monthly payments.  Plus, we were just wee little babies, newly married and making an amount of money that was so low that it shocks me when I think about it.

I was obsessed with all the sweet deals that I could find at CVS and through couponing.  In fact, I know that this is how we were able to pay our debts so quickly, since I was spending so little on other things.  We were motivated and focused on saving money and paying down debt.

Now... not so much.  We haven't even thought about a budget in months, and though we don't have any credit card debt, our savings has been pretty stagnant.  We spent a lot of money in 2010: on trips, concerts, shows, museums, and restaurants - and I am SO okay with that.  I am not okay with the amount that I spent on stuff though.  Experiences: yes.  Stuff: ugh.

So now, I rarely do the deals at CVS.  I haven't been doing online surveys as frequently.  I hardly ever use coupons at the grocery store.  I don't think about money anywhere as much as I did in the past.  And in a way, I feel relief from this, but on the other hand, I know that I could and should be doing better.

Guess how much I contributed to my Roth IRA in 2010.  Nothing.  Zero.  That is not cool.

So for 2011 I need to find a balance between obsessing over coupons and counting pennies, and also saving and living a life where I am not so weighed down by stuff.

We'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

Well Heeled Blog said...

It's hard striking a balance... I struggle sometimes between "oh I need to save money" and "but this is a great experience" - I guess as long as you don't veer too far onto the one side or the other, you will be okay.

I like reading your blog, so I hope you will stick with it. :)

The Asian Pear said...

I think Well-Heeled is right. It's not all about saving and it's not all about spending. What's the point in saving if you're gonna be Scrooge McDuck and just sit on your pile of gold. It's that middle path that we all struggle with.

Shoe.Gal said...

I really hope you stick with it. Although this is my very post I have read all of your blogs for some time and they have inspired me to start my own. Which I did yesterday!