Saturday, January 15, 2011

Living on 10%

Yesterday I transferred 90% of my paycheck to savings.

90%!

I neglected my Roth IRA for all of 2010, so I put more than half towards that.  Then I moved the rest to out savings account, which has been pretty stagnant since we decided to go on vacation last summer.

This is a freak occurrence, and I was only able to do it because all of the bills are paid, and I got some extra money for Christmas, but still... 90%!

I know that I couldn't possibly do that on a monthly basis, but how I wish I could.  Maybe the feeling of exhilaration from paying myself, instead of paying for my shopping addiction will help to keep me on the right path for this year.

4 comments:

The Asian Pear said...

Wow. I hope you left yourself enough wiggle room until next pay though. Other than that... BRAVO!

Shoe.Gal said...

Thats incredible!!! What a great way to start off the new year! Congratulations.

E-town said...

Congrats!! I'm hoping to be able to do that in a few months.

MyATM said...

You started new year by depositing 90% of your income to your savings. Isn't that wonderful? Just be positive and you can maintain that. It's not easy but you can do it! :)