Friday, August 13, 2010

Tavern Direct - Food with a Cause

During the whirlwind BlogHer weekend, I had the opportunity to have dinner with Tavern Direct and a great group of bloggers along with Chef Lou Bivona at Filli Ponte Restaurant. Before this, I had not been familiar with Tavern Direct, but this dinner was as delicious as it was enlightening.

Tavern Direct was started as a philanthropic venture to support the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. With every bottle of their marinades, olive oils, and balsamic vinegars, Tavern Direct donates 50 cents to the organization.

At our dinner we sampled the balsamic vinegars. We started with fresh mozzarella with tomato, and I tried all of the balsamic vinegars with that. I absolutely LOVED the Blackberry Ginger and the Autumn Fig Flavors. For dessert we had Panna Cotta with the Summer Strawberry balsamic. I was a bit unsure of how a dessert would be with vinegar, but it was delicious as well.

I have been raving about these since I tried them, and when I had my normal balsamic yesterday, it just seemed sad in comparison. I'll definitely be placing an order soon once I can narrow down which ones I want to get, because right now I want pretty much all of it. At the dinner we also saw beautifully packaged gift options, and I'm already thinking of quite a few people who I would like to get those for.

As I was checking out their online store, I also noticed that they have an option where you can add an extra donation to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children as well. In addition, they also provide important information on their site about keeping kids safe.

1 comment:

Bucksome said...

The food was excellent. I especially loved the fig balsamic (and I don't normally eat them).

Chef Lou was very interesting and I appreciated his passion for the cause.