Monday, August 23, 2010

Coming Around to the Kindle

I've had a Kindle for a while now, and I have filled with so many of the free books that are available, but I only purchased my first book on it today. When eReaders first became available, I liked the idea, but wasn't sure if I could give up books. A lot of the members of my book club had Kindles and it convinced me to get one. And by get, I mean ask my husband to get it for me for my birthday.

Well, he has been pretty annoyed at me, because I haven't been using it. But it has been so difficult to commit to buying a book on the Kindle. First of all, he works at the library - so I basically give him lists of books that I want to read and he brings them home for me. I do buy books, but at least I always have the option to sell them when I am done with them and I don't want them anymore. With the Kindle, I am stuck with it.

Well I finally purchased my first book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I've been wanting to read it for a while, but now, so does everyone else. There were 500 people requesting it at the library, so he couldn't bring it home for me. I haven't taken a look at it yet, because I am saving it for our plane ride. But I hope that it makes me more into the idea of using my Kindle.

It's funny because other digital formats don't bother me. I would be fine if I never bought another CD again, and we've gotten rid of DVDs since we had access to them via Netflix on demand. But books... books are different.

Do you use an eReader? Was it difficult to make the switch from books?

3 comments:

Ella said...

Oh I have the same problem. I read a lot and so a Kindle would be a good thing for me. But I hate the thought of giving up on books.

Bucksome said...

I love to read but don't know about doing without the physical book. Plus you can't resell them when you're done.

Thousand Pennies said...

I just posted something similar up on my blog, but more focused on the future of libraries. If more people shift to e-readers, particularly as a financial move, what will become of libraries? They are already becoming less book repositories and more internet stations--do you think the introduction of e-readers will hasten that process?