Monday, April 5, 2010

Review: Secrets of a Stingy Scoundrel

Phil was kind enough to send me a copy of his book, Secrets of a Stingy Scoundrel, and I am incredibly late with this review! I remember when the initial reviews of this book were hitting the PF blogs I was immediately intrigued, since it seemed to provoke a lot of arguments. Do not read this book if you are looking for ethical ways to save money. Do read this book if you want to laugh.

I'll admit that I have followed some of these tips in my lifetime - mostly during college. I remember once thinking about how stupid it was to pay for things like toilet paper, and was tempted to just jam a roll in my bag. Thankfully I didn't, but I have used many a Starbucks to restock my supply of sugar packets and have filled out fake credit card applications to get free blankets at Mets games. I am not proud.

Phil mentions in the introduction that, "when philosophizing in terms of money, it's always best to think like a robot..." and most of the tips in the book follow that line of thinking. It is really easy to save money if you have no shame or emotions. This book was a great way to laugh at myself for some of the things that I have done to save a buck: stuffing my purse with condiments, pilfering free samples, and even on one day, early in my relationship with my husband, going to Williams-Sonoma for "lunch."

Overall, Phil delivers a very humorous approach towards saving money, and if you dig through the ridiculous, he even shares some tips that wouldn't make people ashamed to know you.

No comments: