Monday, January 4, 2010

We Finally Got Rid of Cable

Today we downgraded to basic cable, so our bill will be going from $130 to around $90. My husband and I had been talking about doing this for awhile, but we always made some excuse to keep cable. We decided to rejoin Netflix instead, so it will end up being about a $25 savings each month.

Honestly, this decision has almost nothing to do with money. Instead, it has more to do with the fact that we were just wasting tremendous amounts of time everyday watching stupid things on television that we didn't even care about. Between hulu, Netflix, and the few channels that we have left, we will still have plenty to watch, but at least now we will be watching consciously instead of just staring blankly at the television for hours at a time.

I was a little bit horrified when I turned on the television when I came home and I saw all the missing channels. But interestingly enough, I was worried about what other people would think when they saw that we didn't have cable. As if I have hordes of people coming through my apartment and watching my TV!

I think that this will be a positive change for us. Not only will we be saving a little bit of money, but we will be gaining a lot more time.

1 comment:

Anny said...

Man hulu is so much better than real tv! I watched the Office Christmas ep "live" then on hulu with family that missed it last week. Hulu included a lot more footage than the televised version - PLUS it has the HD option.