Sunday, January 31, 2010

January Recap

When we made our budget for January, we did so ignoring the fact that I would get paid for the clubs that I moderate and that my husband would receive an extra paycheck. Also, I am still having trouble sticking to a written budget. I put everything into Excel and then neglected to input any receipts. But I guess for this month it didn't really matter, because I am still quite pleased with how we did.

Savings - $1750
Roth IRA - $500 (I didn't transfer for it over yet, but I put it in a separate savings account for right now. I'll probably just write a check every few months.)
Student loans - $700

I'm also happy to report that I managed to survive the month without cable. I haven't received the lower bill yet, so I don't know exactly how much we will be saving. What is interesting though, is that for the first time ever our electric bill was less than it was for the month last year. I'm excited to see if this trend continues now that I'm barely watching any television.

2 comments:

"Hunie" said...

It is amazing how much time you gain when you don't have cable or even a television! Good job on your budget!

ParisGirl111 said...

Wow, you are doing excellent on your savings goals! Thanks for sharing this post. I cut off my cable two years ago and missed it once. Now, I am so glad I chose to not pay for television.