Friday, January 1, 2010

December Recap and Year End Results

Despite the setbacks that we had regarding where to put our money, our emergency fund was fully funded right at the very end of December. Now with that in place, we can move forward towards other more tangible goals. My husband still has about 19k left in student loans, so now we are going to start focusing more attention on those, while also funneling money towards eventually buying a house, as well as a new car fund.

I had three major goals for 2009: to pay off my car loan, to set up and fully fund a Roth IRA, and to fully fund our emergency fund. Despite the fact that we lacked a proper budget for most of the year and my frequent trips to the dark side of shopping, we managed to do all of those things.

We are starting off 2010 with a written budget, and it is my goal to really track all of our spending for the year. My husband is resistant to the idea, saying that it is too strict and that we won't have fun, but I think it's necessary to determine if we are actually doing what we want to be doing. Saving for the emergency fund kind of bummed me out, because now it can't be touched. The thought of actually saving for something - a home of our own - really excites me. It excites me a lot more than a new purse or a new pair of shoes does.

I also want to blog more this year, since the whole point of doing this was to keep myself accountable. I need more transparency. I think that the only way I can make progress towards my goals is if I will be embarrassed if I fail.

So goodbye, 2009. Hello, 2010.

No comments: