Thursday, November 5, 2009

"Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice..."

My students remind me why I chose this job, and despite the fact that I frequently experience angst, worry, and confusion, I know that I am in the right place.

This year I am doing NaNoWriMo, and so are about 40 students from my school. Today a girl burst into my classroom between classes, looking excited. She told me that while her class was checking their vocabulary homework, she was inspired by a word and wanted to change the direction of her story. She wanted to know if that was okay. I was in awe of the fact that a word could set such a spark in her imagination. I told her such, and she bounded away, smiling.

All day I've had kids excitedly shouting their word counts at me and being so excited that they have written so much.

This is the job that I wanted. This is what I need to remember when things get difficult.

1 comment:

me in millions said...

Love that song! Isn't it so amazing to know you are making a difference?