Wednesday, August 26, 2009

3rd Attempt at Making Jam!

The other day I made peach jam and it is definitely my best one yet. The first time I tried to make strawberry jam with pectin and it was a syrupy floaty fruit failure. I used liquid pectin instead of powder, but I followed the directions for powdered pectin so it didn't set. The second time I made strawberry jam with no pectin and it was great, but it barely made any jam since it had to cook for so long.

Last weekend my husband and I planned to go peach picking, but it was too hot so we decided not to go. Instead on Monday I went to the grocery store for $.88/lb peaches but they were out. I was determined to make jam though, so I bought the $1.98/lb peaches. Thus far jam making has been delicious, but not very cost effective. I spent 14 dollars on peaches, but oh was it worth it.

This time I decided to use Pomonas Universal Pectin and I'm so glad that I did. This pectin does not require the massive amounts of sugar, so the jam tasted very fresh and not overly sweet. It is SO GOOD! Plus it didn't take too long to cook, and it made a TON of jam.

There are 3 more little jars and one giant jar as well!

I've been eating the jam on toast for breakfast everyday, and it is so good. Then today I decided to bake a loaf of whole wheat bread (even though it was 8 million degrees today.)

3 comments:

moneymatekate said...

I, for one, am VERY impressed. You're creating an urban larder!!

sarah swingset said...

Awesome!! Congrads on your jamming sucess!!

Also, I will be in NYC in 3 weeks or so. I would love to hear some thrifty tips for a NYC day trip if you have any...and I would love to meet you for coffee or dinner if you happen to be free that day (I'm not sure which day exactly. We will be there for a week and doing a day trip one of those days).

Also, I have a zine for you! Lots of good jamming tips. Send me your address? sarahswingset@riseup.net

Money Funk said...

Oh, that looks so yummy. And I like the fact you don't have to use a ton of sugar. So, jamming pro...what are you going to do with all that jam! ;)