Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Success at Making Jam!

Today was my second attempt at making jam, and this time it worked! I used this recipe, which didn't call for pectin. I was really nervous because I would have hated to waste all the ingredients again. Also, this is some pretty pricey jam, since the recipe called for Grand Marnier. Yeah, I know I could have made it without it, but I thought it would give me some extra incentive to get it right this time.

Four Little Jam Jars


Since I didn't use pectin, this recipe yielded less jam. So instead of my 8 jars of syrup that I got last time, I got four jars (and a quarter of a jar that I stuck in the fridge) of really thick, delicious jam.

No Floating Fruit!


I know it's hard to see because I take terrible pictures, but the fruit didn't float to the top this time. I really crushed it down, plus it cooked for a really long time.

Yum!



Here's a closer picture of the delicious jam. Plus my husband's hand again, since he just wanted to eat it as I was trying to take a picture.

Mango Bread?


After the jam was finished and jarred, I made some mango bread. This was ridiculously delicious. The only change I made from the original recipe was that I added 3/4 cup of coconut instead of 3/4 cup of raisins.

1 comment:

sarah swingset said...

yaaay! congrads! i am so into jam making! i already made strawberry and raspberry so far, but i am also planning: blueberry, blackberry-lavender, pear and apple butter, and peach jam. i am so out of control, but it's super fun once you get it down!

that is a really interesting recipe. pectin is made from apples so i guess adding the apples takes away the need for pectin, but does it change the flavor a lot?

as far as the floating fruit problem...yeah, the mushing of the fruit is important, but i also use a powdered "reduced sugar pectin" (not "no sugar pectin", i don't trust that stuff!) and it is perfect. it uses 4 cups of sugar instead of 7. i've never tried liquid, but the powder always works so well that i just stick with it. i wrote a whole long deal about canning for the zine, so i will send you that soon for the next attempt! :)