Sunday, April 5, 2009

Understanding triggers...

The past few days have been extremely stressful around here.  On Thursday morning my husband told me that he saw a mouse in the apartment.  It ran into the closet and he shut it in and thought that it was trapped.  Later when he was ready to catch it, he opened the door and nothing was there.  He plugged up some holes around the closet and we hoped for the best.

On Friday night he saw the mouse again.  This time it was RUNNING ACROSS THE KITCHEN COUNTER.  So we set up more traps, but still, nothing.  Oh, except for poop ON THE KITCHEN COUNTER!

Yesterday, we had planned to go out to eat and also to go to the mall since I needed a spring jacket.  We left the traps and basically spent the entire day being stressed about what we were going to find when we got home.

After we left the apartment, we were so sad and stressed about the mouse situation.  I turned to my husband in the elevator and said, "Listen, I can buy whatever I want today.  I can spend however much I want because I CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS."  Now usually determining triggers are not this clear cut for me, but I was willing to forgo all of our financial progress to help to ease my stress.

As the day wore on, we began to relax.  We went to dinner and spent as much as we had planned.  Then by the time we got to the mall, my shopping stress urges had gone away.  We focused on finding me a spring jacket, and that was the only thing that I bought.

Yesterday was a perfect example for me to realize that I MUST stay away from shopping when I am stressed out.  

1 comment:

sarah swingset said...

oh, if only i get get a grip on all my silly shopping triggers, i swear i'd actually have enough money to live on. those compulsive stress moments kill my budget too often. but yay! good for you for not giving in and not letting that mouse win!