Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Rent success!

We finally heard back about our rent and it will be lowered to $1450 a month!  That is a savings of $600 a year based on what we paying now, but $1200 if you go by the $1550 a month that they were asking from us for next year.  Sweet!

I was so nervous about even asking because we were kicked out of our last apartment because my television made too much HEAT.  It is so nice to be dealing with a management company as opposed to my lunatic uncle.  But now, I'm really happy that we brought the rent issue up with the management.  I honestly wasn't expecting them to do anything, so this was a nice surprise.

I wonder how much money I've just given up throughout the years because I was too afraid to say anything.  A few weeks ago, my mom bought me a new macbook in exchange for doing MAJOR cleaning at her house.  We also bought a plastic case/sleeve for the computer, but I really hated it.  More than two weeks had passed and I had already opened the case, so I figured that it was just a lost cause.  But my persistent mom went back to the store yesterday and was able to return it without a problem.  There have been countless times that I purchased something and didn't like it, but just figured that I wouldn't be able to return it.

I'm learning these lessons slowly and I'm learning that I really need to speak up sometimes. 

3 comments:

myprettypennies said...

I will definitely do this in the next month! I saw that the rent across the hall is $60 a month cheaper than what I am paying now. When my apartment is up for renewal in June, I'll definitely ask for a rent decrease. Good job for asking! That's awesome.

G+D said...

Wow, good for you! Great job on negotiating!

Dr. Faith said...

As my dad is fond of saying: "If you don't ask, the answer is no."

One time I was in REI and I found a pair of shoes that I liked. I took them up to the cash register and said to the guy "I really like these shoes, but I don't want to pay full price for them" - and he said "Well, how about I give you 20% off?" - me: "Sure!" And I got my shoes for 20% off - just because I asked.

Sure it doesn't work all the time, but if you don't ask for things in a nice way you won't get them - so you might as well just ask.