Thursday, April 2, 2009

March recap!

Well, March was definitely an exciting month because I FINALLY paid off my car loan.  My husband has around 20k in student loans, so we are not debt free, but we are moving along.  Since our savings account is looking pretty skimpy at about 3k, I am going to spend the next few months focusing the extra money from the car and putting it into savings.  

I'm not really sure what our specific goals should be, since there are so many different directions that I need to go.  I still do not have a Roth IRA, but I have the paperwork sitting on my desk.  The student loan debt makes me sad.  Should I focus on getting a six month emergency fund in place before we do anything else?  

Also, we were paying a lot of money for cable.  It was $147 a month with premium channels.  Since some of the shows that we watched just ended, we canceled our premium channels.  I just got the bill for $117 a month, so that's nice.

We STILL haven't written out a proper budget.  I know we are doing okay, but I really need to sit down with my husband and figure everything out now.

4 comments:

Fabulously Broke said...

1. Emergency Fund = YES
2. Congrats on paying off car loan
3. OUCH! $147/month!! But it must have been worth it w/ all the shows. $17 a month now seems incredible

Tina said...

Hey! I found your post on Money Saving Mom. Congrats on the car loan! We paid ours off last December, and it was AWESOME! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on paying off the car loan! Definitely start with the Emergency Fund first! You'll get it up there and fully stocked in no time.

As for cable, if you have a computer and broadband, you should think about checking out hulu.com or netflix. hulu is a TOTALLY FREE TV show and movie download site, and up to date. And for about $8/month you can download movies and current TV shows (as many as you want) - my sister and BIL do this and love it. They also just bought some sort of cord that allows them to plug in the computer to their TV and then they don't have to watch it on the little laptop screen. Definitely worth checking out and it will afford you HUGE savings.

Megan said...

Looks like you are making progress. Congrats on the car loan. Hopefully ours will be paid off next month. I would definitely focus on the Emergency Fund.