Saturday, April 11, 2009

Frugality and Eco-Friendly: Where do you draw the line?

Don't you just love it when internet searches take you into uncharted territory?  So I was planning to make salmon for dinner tonight and I was searching the internet to find a cooking temperature and an amount of time, because I have messed that up in the past and cooked rubbery chewy salmon.

So as I am searching I find references to cooking salmon in the dishwasher.  Intrigued, I started clicking on links.  At first there were just references to poaching salmon in a seemingly empty dishwasher.  Basically you wrap it up in foil tightly with any seasonings, and put it on the top rack of the dishwasher.  Then you set the dishwasher on the highest setting and use the drying option as well.  Using an empty dishwasher seems kind of odd, but harmless enough, I suppose.

So then I found a link and video, of a man cooking salmon in a fully loaded dishwasher!  With soap!  He took it out and it looked okay, but I just can't get past the idea of eating something that was sitting next to dirty dishes and had soap all over it.  I guess I just don't trust foil that much.  The man conducted the experiment in order to use less energy.

Reading the comments was interesting.  Several people pointed out that using a dishwasher at all, wasn't very eco-friendly, though that seems to be a debatable point depending on how you wash your dishes - meaning do you fill up the sink and use that water or keep the water running as you wash.

But other comments, talked about other dishwasher recipes, such as Lasagna Florentine!  People lamented about wasted water used to boil tea, and a woman mentioned that she boils eggs in her tea water to save energy.

I'm not going to lie, these examples make me kind of squeamish (no that is too harsh, it is more like the step before squeamish).  I'm not sure I really see the benefit, especially since it involves FOOD.  If even a little bit of dishwasher soap got into that salmon, I would imagine that it could be pretty harmful.  Is it really worth it?

Now, on the other hand, I totally get other frugal/eco-friendly changes.  FB wrote all about eco-friendly hair care, and in that case I was very intrigued.  The labels on my beauty products scare me - and in this case there is no harm in experimentation.  You will not eat dish soap!  Maybe your hair won't look great (maybe it would look better!), but there is no ick factor at all.  In fact, this is something I might even experiment with during the summer when I am not working.

So what do you think?  Would you try dishwasher salmon?  

2 comments:

lowincomelady said...

The things you can find on the internet...I have heard of making scrambled eggs in a coffee machine but not cooking things in the dishwasher!

Fabulously Broke said...

I am going to do a whole review of what worked and didn't, and if this experiment would work for you or not.

No worries! :)

Am almost done writing it, I need this week and then I can do a final.

I would NEVER try cooking with soap, however, we use vinegar instead of detergent and that may be a good reason to switch?

Nah.... I feel uncomfortable with that idea