Monday, February 2, 2009

Cheap Eats!

I always thought I was a pretty good cook, and I think my husband did too - until we got married.  When I lived at home and worked random hours and went to college, I had plenty of time to try out new and complicated recipes.  But when I got married and started working full time as a teacher, I quickly became overwhelmed and as a result we ate tacos and chili...A LOT.  At first I was making these meals with ground turkey, but I started couponing and looking to save money on groceries, and I realized that it was cheaper to buy ground beef in giant family packs.  

My husband would rant about how much he hated ground beef and how tacos and chili all the time made him sad, but I was way too tired to do anything about it.

So this year, I decided that we needed to eat new things and stop eating so much beef.  Thus, I discovered lentils.  And I am in love.

First of all, a bag of lentils is crazy cheap and I could make 2-3 meals from it.  Second of all, lentils are crazy healthy.  Third, they are not ground beef.

My first lentil experiment was with this soup.  Yes, it looks completely gross in the picture, but trust me, it is delicious and it cheaply fed us for a few days.  

So I made the soup twice and I still had more than half a bag of lentils, and I wanted to try something new.  I saw this recipe for lentil tacos in my free subscription (yay!) to Self magazine and I tried it tonight.  I was a little nervous about it, but it was SO GOOD.  Definitely better than the ground beef tacos I had been making (a little too frequently) and so much healthier.  My husband took a bite, looked me in the eyes, and said, "Can we please never eat beef tacos again?"  Plus we have enough leftover for tomorrow.  Yum!

No comments: