Thursday, January 8, 2009

I am a financial disaster

I am currently watching Suze Orman on Oprah, and I am feeling more and more stressed about financial matters.  2008 was basically a disaster financially.  We were able to save a good amount of money after our wedding, but then that was all gone when we were forced to find a new apartment.  $4500 from savings gone in a minute paying double rent in August, a broker's fee, and the security deposit for the new place.  Best of all (ha!) this $4500 was all due to my uncle kicking us out of the apartment we were renting from him because 1. our television made...HEAT...and messed up the heat for the house (yes he is nuts) and 2. he wanted our parking spot for his new $80k Corvette.  Yes.  I am really feeling bitter about this.

Around the same time I had decided that we really needed to work on paying down our car loan, which was around 15k at the time.  So before we were kicked out, we moved A LOT of money from savings to paying the car.

Thus, we are left with not much, and this is the first time in my life where my savings have been so depleted.  I haven't even been able to move any money to our savings accounts in months because I just really want to get rid of this car loan.

And with all this stress, I am been shopping like a lunatic.  It seems like boxes are being delivered everyday and I just feel embarassed about it.  I pay my credit card balance in full every month, so that isn't an issue, but still, this is all money I could be saving.

I NEED to get my spending in check in 2009.

2 comments:

Fabulously Broke said...

Hey, all it takes is for you to feel embarrassed about the situation and guilty, and then you start changing your attitude towards spending and saving.

It's a good thing!

It's how I started saving and paying down my debt.. without those changes, you cannot expect money to save itself lol.. like i did...

So look on the bright side :) Suze made you see the light.

Fabulously Broke in the City
Just a girl trying to find a balance between being a Shopaholic and a Saver...

Living Almost Large said...

Baby steps towards being financially responsible. It doesn't happen overnight.